15 Nov This Week in Cubs – Visit to NS Power + Good Deeds
Hi Cubs families,
This week Cubs will be getting a tour of Nova Scotia Power’s Protective Equipment Test Centre. There will also be safety talks around electricity as well as some equipment, such as fork lifts, for Cubs to check out up close.
- Address: 25 Lakeside Park Drive (view map)
- Drop off: 6:30 p.m. by the main door with the wooden steps leading up to it.
- Parents are welcome to join.
- Please ensure your Cub is checked in with a leader.
- Pick up is at 8 pm.
You can park anywhere in the front; please back into parking spaces as NS Power requires this for safety on its property.
Part of the Cub Promise states that Cubs are “…to do a good turn for somebody every day.”
At each meeting, Cubs are asked to talk about a good deed they did in the past week. A good turn is defined simply as an act of kindness provided without expectation for compensation or recognition. These good deeds help promote a sense of community, citizenship, friendliness and compassion in our youth; they are not doing things generally expected of Cubs such as chores or responsibilities. We ask parents to remind their Cub of this expectation each week. Here are some examples:
- Hold the door open for those behind you.
- Offer to take your neighbour’s dog for a walk.
- Collect foods and canned goods for a food bank.
- Volunteer to be a tutor or mentor in a school, especially if there is an area in which you can help another student.
- Give someone a compliment at least once every day.
- Clean up the area around your school or a local park, picking up trash and putting it in the garbage can. You can also help your teacher clean up the classroom.
- Call your grandparent(s) or other special family members who you do not see often.